Re: About to give up: No X after upgrade from Potato to Woody

Ken Januski wrote:

> Progress! But still not there. I've used the various suggestions from this
> list over the last day to see if I could solve my problem. I've been
> somewhat confused by suggestions of using both dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-common and X -configure. I'm still not exactly sure of the
> difference but by using X -configure and then manually editing its results I
> found that my mouse settings should be /dev/psaux and protocol of PS/2.

I was wondering about that, but I figured you knew what kind of mouse you
had. If the mouse is plugged into the PS/2-style mouse port, then it's
/dev/psaux.

I have an old machine with a serial mouse, so that one actually is
/dev/ttyS0, but newer machines are pretty much always either /dev/psaux
or whatever one does for a USB mouse.

> One problem remains: when I run startx everything seems to go well in the
> sense of no errors in console. But it always ends with "waiting for server
> to shut down." So I think server gets started then immediately shuts down. I
> seem to recall that this happened when I first got X working under version 3
> two years ago but I can't seem to fix it. I suspect it may be in my
> /etc/X11/Xsession file but am not sure. I believe all that has in it now is
> "windowmaker &".

Really? Where did this file come from? There's a standard Debian
Xsession file that has a variety of tests to see if you want to start
Gnome, or KDE, or just run your ~/.xsession.

Anyway, the problem you're seeing now is that when Xsession exits, X
shuts down, so the last thing it does should be to exec your window
manager or desktop environment. You can change "windowmaker &" to
"exec windowmaker" (without a trailing &, because you want to wait
until it terminates) to fix the problem. Then, when you want to exit
X, just exit windowmaker.

Craig