Re: 2.4 Woody

At 04:02 PM 7/27/2002 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 02:29:38PM -0500, debianlists@thewolfden.org wrote:
> My understanding is that Woody is/can be a 2.4 kernel.  All the floppy
> installs I've tried
> under  /debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/<flavor>
> report, upon bootup of the rescue.bin, "This disk uses the Linux kernel
> 2.2.20-<flavor>".

This is answered in the release notes.  You should be familiar with
the release notes and the installation manual before attempting an
install.

http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#s-newinst

The *only* two mentions of 2.4 I could find in the release notes, which I have read previously, is: "A 2.4 kernel is also included in this release for optional installation by users. Although the 2.4 branch is considered by the kernel developers to be a stable kernel branch, the Debian GNU/Linux release team judged it not to have reached sufficient maturity for inclusion as the default kernel in this release."

and a note about bf2.4 that "This is an experimental flavor which uses a special version of the kernel-image-2.4 package."

The first just says that 2.4 is not the default kernel option, with no discussion about how to get the option. The second says it is an experimental 2.4, but I want the stable 2.4, which is why I did not install bf24.

From the responses I've received, I guess that's the only 2.4 kernel in a Debian Woody install. This is not covered well in the short blurb about bf24. This was not clear to me, which is why I asked about it in the user's list. Sorry to be such a bother.

-W