Re: Suggested way of troubleshooting installed packages...(Mailman)

Quoting Eric D Nielsen <nielsene@MIT.EDU>:

> I'm new to Debian have recently converted from RH.  Most of my installation
> has gone very smoothly and only now as I'm trying out new things and I
> running into difficulties.  While using RH, I avoided RPM's and compiled
> everything from source.  Now I'm trying to use Debian packages and when
> problems arise I'm not sure what to do.  Google searches, mailing-list
> archives and tool homepages don't seem to have the information I'm looking
> for.  I've always tried to avoid sending to mailing lists as typically an
> answer is out there, somewhere.  So far I've struck out on my queries.
> Where does a Debian user turn to for help?

If you get stuck after man pages, /usr/doc and google.com, then
the this mailing list is one of the best places for help.

> A specific case involving Mailman is explained below..
>
> For instance I'm trying to setup GNU Mailman.  The apt-get install steps
> went find.  I was able to get into the /usr/lib/mailman/bin directory for
> the administration level needs.  However the web-page interfaces don't seem
> to be set up.

We're not quite sure what you mean by "don't seem to be set up".
What happened after you ran newlist?
Was there any error messages?
The mailman pages from a browser are usually here:
http://yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/mailman/
What do you see when you try to access these pages?

  So I pulled down a tarball of Mailman to read what its
> INSTALL
> said and compare against the installed version.  Everything looked
> right except I didn't see any of the webserver directory changes that
> the INSTALL file mentioned reflected in either httpd.conf. (I seem to have
> two
> of these one for apache and one for apache-ssl, I'm going to see if I can
> combine/virtual host as I did on RH).  So apparently the paths used by
> Mailman
> aren't created in the web-tree filesystem and aren't aliased by apache.

If you have a test system, or a system that doesn't need certain configurations
backed up, you could always try to blow away apache and mailman and start
over.
# apt-get --purge remove apache mailman

A good place to look for more help is the mailman website too.

hth,
Mike