NVdriver?

hey sorry bout dragging this topic up again, i dl the nv-glx driver and nv
kernel both source from the deb files, im working on getting my geforce 4
working in xfree, now i dl the new kernel source that matches my kernel
version, 2.4.18 just in case it matters :-p and i got the headers too to
make sure i had what i needed. everything seemed to go fine, i unpacked
nvidia kernel and ran the make-kpkg kernel_image and modules_image
command, and a .deb file came up about my nvidia kernel only, some looking
in the file system showed i had a NVdriver located under x11 kernel?
something like that, i #'d out the glcore and dri in my modules which if i
remember correctly i was supposed to do, and i added nvidia to my card
section, i tinkered between caps and also nvdriver, and adding the same in
various combos in the modules section of my XF86Config-4 to this time it
tells me there is no such driver when trying to load x and reports no
screens could be found, yea the typical error for invalid screen or video
card config im assuming, anyways, could someone lend me a hand? i gave all
the info i currently have off the top of my head just name what you want
if any further info is needed! and i really appreciate the help i recieve
from you guys! thanks