Re: keyboard layout in xterm and console

I have the same problem.

LC_ALL=fi_FI@euro

makes my gnome appear in finnish, but all I wanted was scandinavian keyboard layout (and perhaps euro support) in my console/terminal. I'm a Swedish speaking Finn, and I definitely _don't_ want my OS in Finnish (nor Swedish, to be fair). But I wish to be able to manipulate files with scands.

I hate mixing languages as most programs are only in English. According to the "Debian Euro HOWTO" there is no separation between keymaps and languages (Chapter 3). I find this ridiculous.

I've also tried some tricks in the HOWTO:

install-keymap fi
install-keymap fi-latin1
loadkeys fi
locale-gen

(locales correctly specified, but en_US as default, others mess up the language).

I want in my xterms (and the console) to be able to use a German
keyboard layout (if possible with Euro character support). But I
*don't* want to have German messages.

If I do

export LC_ALL=de_DE@euro

then I get the German keyboard layout, but also German messages which I
hate.

So, how do I set up the keyboard layout independently of the messages
language? I'm using Debian unstable BTW.

TIA.

--
Johan Ehnberg
johan@ehnberg.net