Solved: SunLeo Driver, Sparc20, Turbo ZX Framebuffer, Depth, and XFree86

--- "Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net>
wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:49:25 -0700 (PDT)
> madmac madmac <madmac134@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I have a Sun Sparc20 with a Sun Turbo ZX

> You might want to try letting X auto configure
> itself by running the
> following as root:
>
>   XFree86 -configure
>
> That might help kickstart you on your way to a
> working X configuration.

I did, and the resultant /root/XF86Config.new got me
to a new error message, complaining about a lack of 32
fbbpi Display subsection, so I added a Depth 32
subsection, and voila, I got to a grey screen (yay!!)
but a hung mouse.  -configure didn't pick up the
/dev/sunmouse input device.

So, I went into /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and added in
the 32 bit pixed depth Dispaly Subsection, with
appropriate modes, and bang, we're working.

Two Followup Questions:

Who do I report these findings to?

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is being maintained by debconf.
By editing it by hand, what are the implications?

Thanks to all who offered help, and to Jamin in
particular!!!

madmac