RE: About to give up: No X after upgrade from Potato to Woody

Thanks for the advice Steve,

I've tried some of it. I removed gpm. I then took at look at what packages I
had and saw I had one for xserver-common version 3 as well as 4. I told
dselect to remove version 3. It told me it would remove:
task-x-windows-system-core
xf86setup
xserver-common-v3
xserver-sv3
xserver-svga
xserver-vga16

I trusted it on this and said ok. That seemed to work except for a note
telling me that I'd need to run dkpg-reconfigure xserver-s3v before I
restarted x.

I also linked /dev/mouse to /dev/ttys0, which is owned by root.

I then tried X -configure. That told me that /etc/X11/X was not executable.
startx told me the same thing. When I checked I then saw that /etx/X11/X is
a link to the svga server that I just got rid of!

So now I'm stuck in a new place and am not really sure if I've progressed or
not. Perhaps you can tell better than I. Unfortunately I now have to leave
for an 8 hour work shift. But if you have any more ideas as to what to try
next please let me know. I'd really like to get this straighened out.

Thanks,

Ken