Re: tenative ITP linux-wlan-ng; soliciting advice

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 02:29:30PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> This is of course the driver for prism2 wireless cards.
> Web site: http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/
> Copyright: MPL
>
> The nasty catch in all this is that wlan-ng iplements its own special
> way of configuring the wireless cards that is entirely unlike all other
> wireless stuff in linux. And there are three varieties of cards: pcmcia,
> usb, and internal PCI (which I have). The pcmcia is integrated into
> the pcmcia subsystem in a fairly standard way. The others go their own
> way, via a grody config file and init script. Tying this into ifupdown
> and adding scheme support will probably be interesting.
>
> I'm soliciting advice from anyone who has installed wlan-ng yourself; if
> you've done any integration work to make it play nice with the rest of
> debian please write and describe. I'll decide in a few days if I really
> want to package this.

Can I strongly recommend you investigate the hostap driver (also not in
the normal kernel) first?  It supports a slightly smaller set of cards
but including the built-in on my Fujitsu P-2046, and it had working
ad-hoc support which I could not get linux-wlan-ng to do (some problem
about management frames).  It also configures more like a normal
driver, although it also has a separate configuration utility.

I've somewhat scripted both to work under Debian, but hostap was much
easier and more reliable, and more featureful to boot.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
MontaVista Software                         Carnegie Mellon University