iscan & epson 1650 scanner

FYI and for the archive:

Here's what I did to get iscan (a SANE frontend for various Epson
scanners) working on my debian machine, after, of course, configuring my
kernel for USB support, installing sane, xsane, et al.:

1.  Downloaded the rpm from

http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/lsd_e.html

2.  Installed it, using

alien -i iscan-1.3.0-1.i386.rpm

3.  It didn't immediately work, but I googled and found help at

http://www.epkowa.co.jp/cgi-bin/iscan/e_bbs/bbs.cgi?log=&v=41&e=res&lp=41&st=40

4.  So, following (but updating) those instructions, I did (in
/usr/lib/sane), as root:

rm libsane-epson.so libsane-epson.so.1
[this removes symlinks; ..so.1 I didn't have]
ln -s libsane-epsonkw.so.1.0.6 libsane-epson.so
ln -s libsane-epsonkw.so.1.0.6 libsane-epson.so.1
[which I'm not sure is necessary as I didn't have the ..so.1 before]
echo "libsane hold" | dpkg --set-selections
[which prevents overrides when updating, according to the help at 3.]
ln -s /usr/bin/iscan /usr/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/
[to make iscan available to The Gimp, which it did]

And everything works as one would expect, so I hope this message might
save someone the time it took me to get iscan to work!

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman
pwiseman@mindspring.com