Re: virii

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 12:41:47PM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Ivo Wever wrote:
>
> > Is the Latin plural of museum: musea, accepted in English BTW?
>
> I've never heard it; everyone says "museums" AFAIK.
>
> I have, however, heard the plural of "forum" said as "fora", and the
> plural of "quantum" as "quanta". And of course we've all heard "data",
> "media", and many other equivalent cases.

Here in Denmark we often use 'vira' as the plural for 'virus', though I
can't get it to match my latin dictionary.

The dictionary says "virus, m. 2. declination" so the plural should be
'viri', but since the noun is non-countable (meaning a slimy or
poisonous substance) in Latin the plural probably wasn't very
interesting.

The plural 'vira' would be correct if the noun were neuter.

--
René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)              http://www.seindal.dk/rene/