samba/cups printing stopped working with recent unstable update

I've spent almost 4 hours fighting this.  My setup:

	i386, debian unstable, current samba unstable

printing locally (from linux) via CUPS works, so printer setup is OK
I can browse file shares and see the printer from my NT box
I can "Add Printer" fine as a network printer
/var/log/samba/* shows user authenticating in fine and no errors

I had this working great for almost 2 years (although
as a non-cups printer, i.e. I specified the print command),
following smb.conf is what I'm working
with now while trying to get running and is what's recommended
by current doc).

???

any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks