Re: OT: Flamebait: Text vs HTML email - Long message

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:51:48 -0500
"Kent West" <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> James asked "What can be expressed in HTML that can't be expressed as
> well, if not better, as an attachment?" The first thing that popped
> into my mind was multiple colours for quoting. Yes, yes, the > and >>
> and >>> suffice, but I think a case could be made that red for one
> person's quotes and blue for another's and black for a third's is more
> easily picked up by the brain. Note that I'm not saying it's expressed
> vastly better than plain text, but that a case could be made that it
> is expressed better.

As many have already pointed out, a good mailer can do this for you, the
way _you_ want it to.  It would appear that someone named James is
spouting some remarkably similiar phrases to what I've recently written.
 Perhaps I should make an appointment with a psychiatrist about my
possible split personality (at least then I could possibly get some good
drugs legally =^P ).

> James also thinks that the use of HTML is because "people are
> tremendously lazy." And like others he mentions that HTML is easily
> abused. He also claims that information flow could be increased by the
> use of using text only, because of lower bandwidth requirements. So
> long as bandwidth is an issue, I'd agree. So on a public mailing list,
> yep, text only. In a private LAN, HTML might be fine. He also asks why
> text-only mail readers should be able to read HTML. Simple, because
> HTML mail is sent.

While it is true that HTML mail is sent, The information can be conveyed
via plain text (lists such as this are prime examples).  Additionally,
most e-mails containing HTML have a plain text part also.  From what
I've seen, those that don't are messages I don't care to read (aka spam
and the like).

--
Jamin W. Collins