Re: OT: Flamebait: Text vs HTML email - Long message

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 05:51:48PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Colin thinks colors, er, I mean, colours, :-)   and fonts "are useless
> for communication on technical lists." I think I might disagree that
> they are "useless", but I would affirm that their use may not be
> highly valuable. Some value, yes.

I could certainly agree that there are limited cases where they might be
of use. For instance, on the groff mailing list issues of typography and
layout are often discussed. Of course, that list being what it is the
discussion tends to happen with the aid of snippets of troff rather than
having the whole mail in HTML ...

Maybe some day there'll be a compact, elegant, standardized language
that will allow that kind of thing to be expressed in a way that's
portable to many different systems. My attitude tends to be rather
blinkered towards Debian lists, and technical discussion tends to have
more use for plain text than just about everyone else; but I can see how
in other contexts you might find such extensions useful.

> Ron also mentioned that lynx doesn't support HTML particularly well,
> so my example of using it is flawed.

As an aside, I can thoroughly recommend w3m, if only for w3m-img. I'm
told it even works on framebuffers now, although I haven't yet had a
chance to try it out.

Cheers,