Re: Easy way to downalod .deb files?

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 10:43:29AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:
> Is there a simple way to download .deb files from the archive?

wget ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/packagename/packagname_version-debver_arch.deb

> I tried using "apt-get --download-only install foboar" (or someting
> like that, don't have a Debian system handy right now).  But,
> apt-get refused to download the package since it was already
> installed.  I don't want to install the package, just download it.

Then check your /var/cache/apt/archives directory for the *.deb,
unless you've run "apt-get clean" recently.

> I know I can search through the package listing cache and find the
> http/ftp path, but I was hoping there was a method that would more
> easily lend itself to automation.

How about grep'ing the output of "apt-get --print-uris --reinstall
install package".  This is a null action command because of the
"--print-uris" option, and it's a grep-able output that should work
for feeding scripts.

An "apt-get download" command would be nice, however.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie