Re: Modem Gateway

  G'Day,

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:11, dan.hunt@st.brieux.com wrote:

> > Then your internal machine should be able to see the Internet.
>
> No.
> Now I can ping each machine from the other.
> I can ping the internet from the "modem gateway" machine.
> I cannot ping the internet from the other end of my crossover cable or the
> "internal machine".
>
> During the troubleshooting phase of this home network project, I found that
> diald was annoying me. Often it would connect whenever I would run mc or
> Midnight Commander. So it is gone now. Just pon and poff. I know the
> dial-up is on. However when I ran "apt-get remove diald"
> I did get a message about iptables. I didn't write it down or remember it.

  I'd imagine that midnight commander was trying to do a DNS lookup, hence
creating IP traffic and causing diald to make a call.

> I am starting and stopping these two machines from time to time to change
> the kernel, and booting to M$ to get my mail. I think I ( we ) must
> automate the network ifconfig and route commands. So please let me know if
> I have this correct. ( From Memory and some notes )

  Have a look at the file /etc/network/interfaces, and the man page
interfaces(5). You can setup all your network configuration in this file.
Something like the following would suffice for the internal machine:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
      address 192.168.0.2
      network 192.168.0.0
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      broadcast 192.168.0.255
      gateway 192.168.0.1

  However, having a look at below

> Modem Gateway Machine
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> route add 192.168.0.2 eth0
> I have a old webpage that suggested this,
> route add -net 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
> but it gave me a error. Perhaps I will it try again.

  the route add -net 192.168.0.2 line is on the right track, try
% route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
  and don't use the first route add (as routes to the 192.168.0.2 machine
will be covered by the more general -net route).

> Internal Machine on the other end of the crossover cable.
>
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> route add 192.168.0.1 eth0
> or
> route add -net 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
> then
> route add default gw 192.168.0.1 eth0

  again, should be %route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

> What information would help troubleshoot this ?
>
> How would I set up the ip and port number to access the internet from the
> internal machine once I can ping the ip address of my virtual host's dns
> server?

  I'm not sure I understand what you mean, perhaps what I said above about
/etc/network/interfaces helps with this?

   Cheers,
  Geoff Crompton