Re: Modem Gateway

On 23 Jul 2002 at 16:56, Crispin Wellington wrote:
> > --snip
> Change the IP number to 192.168.0.2
Done. That helped!
> Once you have those modules installed, And each internal machine can
> ping the other, and the gateway machine can contact the net, then run
> that iptables command from the previous post to set up masquerading.
>
> Then your internal machine should be able to see the Internet.
No.
Now I can ping each machine from the other.
I can ping the internet from the "modem gateway" machine.
I cannot ping the internet from the other end of my crossover cable or the
"internal machine".

During the troubleshooting phase of this home network project, I found that
diald was annoying me. Often it would connect whenever I would run mc or
Midnight Commander. So it is gone now. Just pon and poff. I know the dial-up
is on. However when I ran "apt-get remove diald"
I did get a message about iptables. I didn't write it down or remember it.

I am starting and stopping these two machines from time to time to change
the kernel, and booting to M$ to get my mail. I think I ( we ) must automate
the network ifconfig and route commands. So please let me know if I have this
correct. ( From Memory and some notes )

Modem Gateway Machine
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add 192.168.0.2 eth0
I have a old webpage that suggested this,
route add -net 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
but it gave me a error. Perhaps I will it try again.

Internal Machine on the other end of the crossover cable.

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add 192.168.0.1 eth0
or
route add -net 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
then
route add default gw 192.168.0.1 eth0

What information would help troubleshoot this ?

How would I set up the ip and port number to access the internet from the
internal machine once I can ping the ip address of my virtual host's dns
server?

Kind Regards
Dan Hunt
St. Brieux Saskatchewan Canada