Re: xmms crashes, freezes alsa 0.9

This one time, at band camp, Matt Price said:
> hi everyone,
>
> Has anyone had this problem before?
>
> xmms launches, but when I try to play a song or playlist it freezes
> and has to be killed from the terminal.  Afterwards sound is messed
> up and I have to reboot (or at least, I haven't figured out what less
> dreastic steps I should take instead).  Has anyone ever had this
> problem before?  OI haven't been able to find the error log, either,
> so I can't tell you anything more specific -- anyone know if xmms
> produces and error log at all?
>
> anyway...  thqnks again,
>
> matt
I don't know of an error log, but I don't think that xmms knows about
alsa specifically - it deals with the compatibility layers that alsa can
provide just fine, though.  If alsa has been set up with OSS emulation,
xmms can play to that, provided nothing else is using /dev/dsp.  Better
yet, you can run esd with alsa and have xmms use esound output.  I
believe you'll need something like libesound-alsa, but I can't remeber
right now, as I don't have alsa on any of the boxes here.  Also, make
sure your user is in group audio, so that you can access /dev/dsp either
directly or through esd.
HTH,
Steve
--
"The Street finds its own uses for technology."
-- William Gibson