xmms crashes, freezes alsa 0.9

hi everyone,

Has anyone had this problem before?

xmms launches, but when I try to play a song or playlist it freezes and has to be killed from the terminal. Afterwards sound is messed up and I have to reboot (or at least, I haven't figured out what less dreastic steps I should take instead). Has anyone ever had this problem before? OI haven't been able to find the error log, either, so I can't tell you anything more specific -- anyone know if xmms produces and error log at all?

anyway...  thqnks again,

matt