Re: automatic shell command

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 08:38:29PM +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:
| I have found that I can make ctrl-S work in uemacs if I do 'stty
| -ixon'.  I'd like to make this automatic.  Can someone tell me where I
| need to put this line so it will be executed automagically on bootup or
| login (or another way to achieve the same effect)?

man bash

In particular look at ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc

| Also I've found that having XON/XOFF deactivated at the console level
| does not stick when I start X.

X isn't a console, so it wouldn't care about console-specific issues.

| To get the ctrl-S passed to the editor I have to do 'stty -ixon' in
| the xterm window as well.

Every xterm is a different terminal (logically speaking).  To fully
understand that you have to imagine back in the days of mainframes
when you had a single computer in a room down the hall somewhere and
it had several VT100 (or similar) terminals connected to it via a
serial line.  Each terminal was a separate physical device.  The xterm
program emulates those terminals, and allows your system to pretend to
have many terminals connected at once.

| I guess this means I need the command to be executed on X startup.

Nah, just when your login shells are started (since X itself doesn't
care about a terminal's serial line).  Just tell xterm to start a
login shell, since by default it starts a non-login shell.  (you
probably don't want to be messing with the terminal options for shell
scripts, so don't put the stty invocation in ~/.bashrc)

HTH,
-D

--
Better a little with righteousness