automatic shell command

I have found that I can make ctrl-S work in uemacs if I do 'stty
-ixon'.  I'd like to make this automatic.  Can someone tell me where I
need to put this line so it will be executed automagically on bootup or
login (or another way to achieve the same effect)?

Also I've found that having XON/XOFF deactivated at the console level
does not stick when I start X.  To get the ctrl-S passed to the editor I
have to do 'stty -ixon' in the xterm window as well.  I guess this means
I need the command to be executed on X startup.

In case anyone is familiar with uemacs, I have another problem with it
under X.  Whenever I open a second file ('^x 2' '^x^f') everything
disappears.  If I page up and down the text in the window reappears, so
it is not a serious problem, just a damn nuisance.

Gib