Re: gtk and mozilla slow

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:35:53 +0200 (CEST)
Adam Galant <agalant@telestar.com.pl> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Klaus Imgrund wrote:
>
> > I have the latest drivers for my card (SIS) in the kernel and in X
> > those are not even included in the stock kernel or X yet.
> > Swap is ok with 130mb free.
>
> Hello.
>
> Actually I have no idea about any solutions for your problem, but I
> have also a SiS-based graphics adapter (SiS 530 integrated with
> mainboard) and I've also noticed it's rather slow. Also under windoze.
> I haven't noticed it's particularly slow with GTK, but I'll check it.
> I don't know much about any other SiS chipsets, but I think SiS 530
> isn't very good. Its major advantage is low price.
>
> Does anybody have bad/good experience with SiS VGA chipsets?
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam

Hello,

The SIS chipset is a piece of junk IMHO.I got the SIS730 and no other
choice except I hand over about 300-400 US$ for another card.
Since I don't do any serious gaming it does what I need it to.
On other dists I did have to set it up manually (I can do that
blindfolded by now) and never had any problems with gtk-based apps being
slow.
If you need any insight info about SISgraphics check this out:
http://www.winischhofer.net
There is a lot of info and the newest drivers.The owner was nice enough
to help me sort out some problems.

Have fun,
Klaus