Re: woody and asus A7A266 + DDR

On Monday 22 July 2002 23:44, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I am running woody + kernel 2.4.18 + ASUS A7A266 + Atlhon 1400 + 256
> DDR RAM. The FAQ in the AMD site reports system hangs with the
> combination A7M266 motherboard and DDR RAM. Because I am having
> aleatory system hangs too, I want to eliminate possible causes, and
> decided to ask for the behaviour of the A7A266...
> After your answer I'll continue looking for other source of the
> problem.

A7A and A7M should be different enough to invalidate problems of one for
the other (different chipsets and all).

Some steps you could take:
 - run a thorough memory test
 - underclock the system for a while. 100MHz FSB often helps, especially
in combination with the next idea.
 - check if your system cooling is efficient. When it's getting warmer
outside, overheating can cause really weird behaviour. The original
Athlon 1400 is a good candidate for this since it's got about the
highest overall power output of all mainstream processors.
 - make absolutely sure your power supply is adequate. It's highly
important to have a high output on the 5V and 3.3V rails.

If all this fails th yield results, you're probably stuck with some
defective hardware component, and it can be quite tedious to locate
such a thing. Of course, there could be other causes for instability
like an incorrectly configured soundcard (you can kill a system by just
trying to use it... it's amazing) and about everything else that's
connected to some part of the computer.

--
Embedded Linux -- True multitasking!
TWO TOASTS AT THE SAME TIME!