Installing woody on a Dell Inspiron 5000e Laptop

Hi!
I just tried to install debian on my Dell Inspiron 5000e laptop, but I'm unable to get the networking up. I've tried vanilla and bf2.4 flavors, but neither of them works, even though they don't have the same problem.

I'm using a PCMCIA RealTek 8139-based card, which works on the laptop under RedHat 7.x.

Trying bf2.4 (i'd prefer to have ext3) works until I have to configure networking. I can load the PCMCIA drivers OK, but after that when I try to bring up my NIC my problem is the following: The modules list doesn't contain the pcmcia/8390 (which I heard is the driver I should use, not 8139too/cp. Modinfo doesn't at all help me out on the 8390 module). I can successfully load the 8390 module with insmod or modprobe, but i still can't get eth0 to start, and the installation system doesn't detect a network device. Should I insmod something else, too? This is where I'm stuck. I noticed that my proc/pci doesn't report any IRQ for my NIC, it only reports the following:

Bus 2, device 0, function 0:
Ethernet controller:  (rev 16)
Master Capable. No bursts. Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.

I've also tried the vanilla disks, but with no success. The NIC now appears on Bus 32 in /proc/pci and the driver I tried (standard PCI 8139too driver) loads, but the log on terminal 3 or 4 says network is down when trying to get DHCP config. Manual won't help either.

Anyone got any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Johan Ehnberg