Re: trouble with gnome and x-window-manager

Antonio> Hi all!  I've set up debian sid and after having installed
Antonio> gnome/sawfish, changing the x-window-manager with
Antonio> "update-alternatives..." does not take effect. The
Antonio> x-window-manager in fact is changed as it is shown by
Antonio> "update-alternatives", but running startx, results in starting
Antonio> gnome and sawfish! Before I had gnome installed on the machine,
Antonio> I tried out some other windowmanagers and in this time changing
Antonio> x-window-manager was no problem....  I already tried
Antonio> "dpkg-reconfigure xbase-clients", with no success either.  any
Antonio> idea?

gnome uses the x-session-manager alternative, rather than the
x-window-manager alternative.  The Xsession scripts (/etc/X11/Xsession*)
give priority to x-session-manager over x-window-manager.  So you will
either have to deinstall Gnome, use .xinit, delete the
/etc/alternatives/x-session-manager file (or make it point to
/etc/alternatives/x-window-manager, but I'm not sure how robust either
of these solutions is over upgrades), mutilate
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/50xfree86-common_determine-startup so that it
doesn't use x-session-manager, or something like that.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA