Really weird ntp problem

I'm just getting ntp to work on my system.  I opened up the firewall for
ntp (udp 123) and when I type ntptime it seems to be connecting (no
errors; I was getting an error 5 before I changed the firewall).  The
weird thing is, it's 3 minutes and 18 seconds off.

How do I know this?  Well, I have an ntp program on another computer
(Windows, using AnalogX Atomic TimeSync).  I also called the phone number
for time.  Both of the others agree (to the second) on what time it is --
it's only the Debian box that thinks it's 3m 18s earlier.  This is so
strange.

Oh, yeah, and they're using the same time server (time-nw.nist.gov).  I
set this in /etc/default/ntp-servers.  I tried adding the line

	server time-nw.nist.gov

to /etc/ntp.conf, but that didn't seem to change anything. I did this
because when reading the docs it seemed to imply that dpkg needs to
reconfigure this file to include the server name, but it didn't.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks!

Jen