Re: trouble with gnome and x-window-manager

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 17:03:22 +0200, Antonio Nikolic <tony.n@web.de>
wrote :

> Hi all!
>
> I've set up debian sid and after having installed gnome/sawfish,
> changing the x-window-manager with "update-alternatives..." does not
> take effect. The x-window-manager in fact is changed as it is shown by
> "update-alternatives", but running startx, results in starting gnome
> and sawfish! Before I had gnome installed on the machine, I tried out
> some other windowmanagers and in this time changing x-window-manager
> was no problem....
> I already tried "dpkg-reconfigure xbase-clients", with no success
> either.
> any idea?

Hi,

You can add a file called .xinitrc to your home directory (the same path
where .bashrc is located). To choose the window/desktop manager to use
at startup, you add a line to the file:

For gnome:
exec gnome-session

For Enlightenment:
exec enlightenment

For KDE:
exec startkde

etc....

This change will not affect other users on your system.
 --
 Regards,

 Jeremy Tan