Re: sid -> woody -> sid

Please use 72 char/line.

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 10:02:11PM -0400, Jeff Maxson wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I was using sid for awhile, then decided I should go ahead and get a
> CD of Woody for general use (thanks LordSutch).  So I did, changed the
> sources using apt-cdrom, took off the sid lines, and refreshed the
> package cache.  So I ended up not hurting anything, but I then had a
> bunch of "local/obsolete" files, as sid had stuff woody didn't.  After
> some further pondering, I realized I was enamored enough with sid,
> that I changed the sources list back to sid, did the update again, and
> now the package manager wants to download some 198 megs of stuff over
> the phoneline to catch back up.  Strange, as many of the packages it
> thinks need to be upgraded show that they should be upgraded to their
> current version.

First of all, you need to read "man apt_preferences". Secondly, sid or
normal testing (i.e. not in freeze) is very fluid.  I changes contents
quite offen.  So if you do not want to download a lot, you need to
manage it by "/etc/apt/preferences".

YOu can read HOWTO and example in my "Debian Reference" (sid) or look
for anotherone called "APT HOWTO" (woody).  Both are packaged.
You can look them at:

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/

> How do I get dselect/aptitude/whatever to refresh correctly so that I
> dont have to spend a few days straight clogging up my phone lines to
> upgrade packages that don't need upgrading?

Using "HOLD" for packages which you do not want may also solve problem.

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.