Re: dist-upgrade: perl can't modify goto in lvalue

G'Day,

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 01:52:51PM +1200, James Hook wrote:
> > server would be called for. HOWEVER after I had down loaded the packages
> > required to upgrade the system I encountered the following:
> Try running "apt-get install apt apt-utils" prior to
> "apt-get -u dist-upgrade"

I done this apt was upto date, apt-utils wasnt installed so was
downloaded, then apt errored out in the normal fasion... So I 'dpkg -i'ed
it manually.

> > root@aztec:~# apt-get -u dist-upgrade
> > 1 packages not fully installed or removed.
>   ^---------------------------------------^
>   What does running "dpkg --audit" tell you?

--- 8<--- Snip --- 8<---
root@aztec:~# dpkg --audit
The following packages are only half installed, due to problems during
installation.  The installation can probably be completed by retrying it;
the packages can be removed using dselect or dpkg --remove:
 gzip                 The GNU compression utility.

root@aztec:~# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/gzip_1.3.2-3_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 25207 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace gzip 1.2.4-33 (using .../archives/gzip_1.3.2-3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gzip ...
install-info(gzip): no backup file /var/backups/infodir.bak available, giving up.
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/gzip_1.3.2-3_i386.deb (--install):
 there is no script in the new version of the package - giving up
 /var/cache/apt/archives/gzip_1.3.2-3_i386.deb

root@aztec:~#

gzip seems to work fine however.

> > Do you want to continue? [Y/n] debconf: Perl may be unconfigured (Can't modify goto in lvalue subroutine return at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Base.pm line 24, near "}"

Cheereo,
--
                  \\\
                8(o o)8