From: Craig Dickson [mailto:crdic@pacbell.net]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 10:32 PM
To: Debian User
Subject: Re: SanDisk ImageMate mount problem...

Rick Commo wrote:

> This has been a popular topic lately.  Now it's my turn to ask about this.
> I am trying to be able to read my SmartCard (or SmartMedia) using a
SanDisk
> image mate.  I've spent several hours scouring HOWTOs/FAQs/mail archives.
> No happiness so far.
>
> Configuration:
> 	ASUS A7V133 motherboard
> 	Duron 800Mhz & 512MB
> 	Woody with 2.4.18-bf2 kernel as it came off the CD.
>
> When I try to "mount /dev/sda1 /sandisk" I get the following error
message:
> 	mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
>
> At this point I am stumped.
>
> lsmod reveals:
> 	usbcore
> 	usb-uhci
> 	usbkbrd
> 	usb-storage
>
> From the rooting around that I've done I know that the SanDisk is treated
as
> a SCSI device, but clearly I am missing something here.  Should I see some
> sort of SCSI modules loaded?  Do I need to specify some kind SCSI driver
> somewhere?

First, you don't say what model of ImageMate you're using. Only some
of them are Mass Storage USB devices; the others won't work with Linux,
as far as I know.

Second, I was never able to get my ImageMate SDDR-31 working with a
2.4.18 kernel. It worked with 2.4.17, and then again with 2.4.19-pre2,
and I've had no trouble since then (I'm now on 2.4.19-rc1-ac2). So
you might want to try changing kernels if nothing else works.

Third, for the USB Mass Storage ImageMates, you need the Generic SCSI
and scsi-disk kernel modules loaded, in addition to usb-uhci and
usb-storage.

Craig