Re: howto Name eth[0 .. n-1] in kernel 2.4.18 vs earlier kernels?

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 10:40:03AM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
| This one time, at band camp, Hanasaki JiJi said:
| > Ah.. I am trying to figure out why eth0 is coming up despite the lack of
| > an alias entry.   NO entry at all but the NIC is up.
|
| Do you have that module built into the kernel?  That's all I can
| think of.

Alternatively, are you loading the module from /etc/modules?

If you have 2 NICs with the same driver, don't load it from
/etc/modules and instead use lines like these :

    alias eth0 tulip
    options eth0 io=0xdc00 irq=11

    alias eth1 tulip
    options eth1 io=0xde00 irq=10

The io= option will differentiate between them.  Just be sure and
update that if you ever move stuff around on the bus :-).  I specified
irq as well because they were sharing when I didn't, and I had a
spare, and it worked, so I thought "why not?".

-D

not sure about the former.
        Albert Einstein

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/