Re: howto Name eth[0 .. n-1] in kernel 2.4.18 vs earlier kernels?

This one time, at band camp, Hanasaki JiJi said:
> I just upgraded to 2.4.18 on debian woody and built my own kernel.  In the
> past, there was an alias for "tulip" in the modules file.  This named my
> NIC eth0.  In my firewall, it named the NICs eth0 and eth1
>
> In 2.4.18 I cannot seem to find the place to name the NICs.  Where can
> this be done?  It will be a big issue on my firewall as eth0 MUST remain
> the external nic.
>
> Thankyou
It's the same as in earlier kernels - you create a file under
/etc/modutils/ (mine is ethernet) with lines like:
alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 8139too

and run update-modules.  If both cards use the same driver, you can list
the IO addresses (IIRC) to keep the cards the way you want, like:
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

If all of the above don't get you what you want, you may just have to
physically switch them so the motherboard detects them in their proper
order.

HTH,
Steve
--
Watch all-night Donna Reed reruns until your mind resembles oatmeal.