Re: Distro usage stats

On Sat, 2002-07-20 at 00:33, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 11:32:35PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > popularity-contest requires a mail-transport-agent that
> > can send to the outside world.  What if someone only
> > uses smtp for transmitting email to the outside world?
>
> Uuuh, MTAs speak SMTP.  What you say is redundant.
>
> If you mean they send everything through thier ISP, then this totally
> trivial to do with exim.

Hmmm.  I'd better go sleep; it's been a long week, and my
brain is getting fuzzy.

I've consciously never wanted to send mail out except via my
email client, so when I try to send out a bug report via
reportbug, I get this error in my spool file almost immediately.

> This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

> recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
> failed:
>
>   submit@bugs.debian.org
>     SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
>     host master.debian.org [65.125.64.135]: 550 rejected:
>     cannot route to sender <me@rebel>

I'll have to study exim, and presumably that will solve my
reportbug and popularity-contest problems at the same time.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment |
|  by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."      |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |