Re: Dist Upgrade w/ Limited Disk Space (was: warning for potato-users: "stable" in sources.list)

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 21:51, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net> writes:
>
> > Okay, potato-users, the time has come! Make sure your sources.list
> > says "potato" instead of "stable", until you intend to actually make
> > the switch to woody. The release is official and the symlink has
> > moved.
>
> Congratulations everyone on the new distribution and I look forward to
> using woody.
>
> One quick question, though, how do you recommend someone upgrading the
> distribution if she only has a limited amount of disk-space in /var?
>
> I'd like to upgrade my laptop with a 2G hdd but my /var partition only
> has about 200 Megs available. I was thinking about mounting
> /var/cache/apt/archives via NFS but then realized that the link may be
> shut down during the upgrade. Any ideas or should I just stay with
> potato?

Have you done "apt-get clean", to delete all of the old potato
.deb packages?  Also, I don't know if this is possible or not,
because of package interdependencies, but, instead of one monolithic
"apt-get -u upgrade", maybe it's possible to upgrade in many
pieces with "apt-get -s -u install".  Ruthlessly going thru
/var/log deleting log files may also free up some needed space.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment |
|  by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."      |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |