Re: Kernel panic. No init found

On Sat, 2002-07-20 at 07:58, Tim wrote:
> # ls -l /mnt/sbin/init
> -rwxr-xr-x  1  root  root      28040 Jan 25 13:05  /mnt/sbin/init
> # ls -l /mnt shows my system as I'd expect.  It appears intact. Maybe there
> is a subtle change in /etc/inittab-could someone please post theirs so I
> can compare it?  (I'm assuming this is the relevant file)

But that wouldn't explain why you can't boot with init=/bin/bash

> >Please show the output of mount.
>
> /dev/ram0 on / type ext2 (rw)
> /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> /dev/hda1 on /mnt type ext2 (rw)

You have a readable partition, and the files are there, so damage to the
filesystem seems to be ruled out as a cause. Two different kernels fail,
so damage to the kernel executable seems to be ruled out.

OK, my next theory is that the boot loader is reading the wrong
partition for /.  Is that a possibility?

Alternatively, you may have lost /lib/libc.so.6 or /lib/ld-linux.so.2
(/sbin/init uses shared libraries on my system, so I assume the same is
true of yours.) That would account for your being unable to run either
init or bash.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver