Re: Java applets in browser

Larry Smith <doccpu@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm running Potato.  Will your suggestion work with
> Potato?
>
> That site seems to be an information site.  Do you
> know where I can actually get the plugin?

Here're a few apt sources for the Blackdown packages. You should be able
to just substitute "woody" for "potato" on any of them (I know for sure
you can on the first one) and get the potato version (note that, since
debian doesn't currently package java that I'm aware of, these are
unofficial apt sources).

#deb ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/java/debian woody non-free
#deb ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/java/debian woody non-free
#deb ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/java-linux/debian woody non-free
#deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian woody non-free

You may now install the packages. I believe all you need to run java in
mozilla is the j2re1.3 package and any deps it might have. The j2sdk1.3
package includes the runtime environment plus a java compiler, which you
probably don't want unless you do java development (in other words, run
"apt-get install j2re1.3").
Once the install is complete, just create a symlink to the plugin
(/usr/lib/j2re1.3/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so on my system)
from your mozilla plugins directory (/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins for the
debian package) and restart the browser.

To make sure the plugin was loaded, go to about:plugins in your browser
and make sure "Java(TM) Plug-in Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS" or something
similar is listed.

> My point (aside from so far having been unable to get
> Java to work in Linux with the browser, except for my
> old Netscape 4.75) is that it's very laborous to get
> Java into the browser.  With windows (forgive me), one
> upacks the browser, and walla!
>
> I'd say the java applet browser feature for Linux
> could sure use some attention.

It's probably so hard to get working currently because debian doesn't
officially include Java due to licensing issues with Sun. Otherwise, it
probably wouldn't be too hard to get the Java packages to automatically
create the symlink to the .so file if mozilla is installed and vice
versa.