Java applets in browser

Help me understand this.

Clear back with Netscape 4.75, which ran on the 2.2
kernel, Java was available for handling applets.

It appears that unless I've hung on to that legacy
browser, the newer Mozilla, Opera, etc. can only do
Java with the Java 1.3 JDK from Sun, which requires a
newer glib that Debian makes available.  (Unless one
is flirting with SID or something).

Is this so?  Or have I missed an easy way to add some
unknown java plugin to activate java in my browsers?