Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

<quote who="Grant Edwards">

> I don't remember ever selecting a configuration level.  When
> does that happen?

i believe it is the very first question you are prompted
for during installation. at least it usually is on my
installs. by intsallation i am referring to the actual
package installation not the installation program itself.

>> This has probably already been asked elsewhere, but is there a
>> compelling reason that the woody install uses "stable" vs "woody" in the
>> sources.list?

i can only guess that they do it so they dont have to do it
later. this is preparing for woody to be stable. so they
run the system as if it were stable, if you were to install
from cds, does stable point to woody? i think it would
but i haven't tried woody from cd .. i admit i believe
it would be more worthwhile to point to the name of the
distro rather then the branch. at least in my experience
if i remember right apt-get won't upgrade to a new 'stable'
unless you state dist-upgrade.

nate