Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

Larry Smith wrote:
> I can use some moral support here.
>
> We use Redhat at my job for technical work.  My
> instincts are to switch to Debian (I have both RedHat
> and Debian at home).  I'm running into a bit of
> resistance.

It's a bit funny that nobody has mentioned  anything about the
below referenced problem while critizising the RedHat package Manager.
Or maybe I am totally alone in experiencing this "flaw."

Yes I I'm still running RedHat (youck!) or I wouldn't say running,
more sort of crippety crawling, since my RedHat Database Crashed for the
third time -this time it was a RPM 4.02 database that suddenly decided
to create a "new" data base, with zero packages installed ... = (

This little data base corruption problem, effectively  makes any further
installs on my system into nighmares. I no longer know what's  installed
or not. Versioning is almost hopeless, and I might as well trash everything
and Install something else. That is why I am subscribed to this list.

(I do suppose of course that any one smarter than me would regularly make
backups of his current RPM data base, but I haven't so far. I thought that
RedHat had fixed this problem along with the uppgrade to V4.
(But now I really fail to see what improvements there really are
btw RPMv3 and RPMv4. )

If I was running a computer system in a proffessional environment,

bye bye 2 RPM...

/kind regards Daniel Mose.