Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

<quote who="Kirk Strauser">

> Personally, I like the Debian installer.  Then again, I find the FreeBSD
> installer to be the pinnacle of user-friendly, so I may be a bit unusual
> that way.

yeah that is a bit unusual. even for me i've installed stuff like
openbsd, solairs, aix, hpux, debian, suse, redhat, mandrake, freebsd,
tru64, irix, slackware .. i must say that the freebsd install was
one of the most difficult to understand. especially the fdisk
stuff. to this day i am still not 100% clear on it but at least i
can get a working system fairly quickly. openbsd's is much worse.
doing the default install it may be easy, but at least for me
doing a 'normal' install and trying to customize the filesystems
took me several tries to get it right the first time around. but
the main thing was the whole 2-stage fdisk thing, first partitions,
then slices..and when i was setting up software raid, i couldn't
tell if the docs said that running software raid on slices was
bad or not, or running on partitions was better. i am using freebsd
more day in and day out and trying to become more used to it,
so hopefully i will learn to like it more in time ..

> Still, even if you hate the installer, look at it this way: once it's
> running, you'll probably never have to mess with it again.  I've been
> around Debian systems that were originally installed years ago, but have
> been kept current through several releases via apt-get.  When was the
> last time you saw a RedHat system that hadn't been touched in years?

depends ....i have many redhat systems that haven't been touched
in probably 2 years. they still run ..no updates or anything since
their initial install. of course officially i made everyone aware
i was not going to fix systems that are not maintained. most of them
are in the state that they are because the people using them are
scared they might break(good reason i suppose) ..

nate