Re: Trying to get my CD-RW to work.

Alex,

* Alex Crouzen <alex@crouzen.com> [2002-Jul-18 11:07 AKDT]:
> I'm trying to get my 'old' Philips CDD 3610 (re)writer to work with my
> Debian-system, and for some reason or another, cdrecord doesn't list it
> when i use the -scanbus option. I've tried re-compiling my kernel with all
> the suggested settings on (SCSI emulation for IDE, SCSI CD drive and
> Generic SCSI support) but to no avail. The README says it has to say
> something like 'SCSI-emulation enabled' when it recognises the drive, but
> no such luck.

I'm guessing by your comments that it's an IDE CD-RW drive.  In addition
to adding the kernel options you mention, you have to tell the kernel
that you want it to load the drive as a SCSI device (emulated) rather
than the default IDE ATAPI device.  If the drive is showing up as
/dev/hd_ than this is your problem.  To do this, you need to add:

    append="hd_=scsi"

(replace the _ with the drive letter the drive shows up as, probably hdb
or hdd if it's a slave)

to /etc/lilo.conf, run '/sbin/lilo' and reboot.  You should see lines
like this:

     ide-cd: passing drive hdb to ide-scsi emulation.
     sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

in dmesg after booting.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           phone: 907-474-2689
Computer Systems Manager          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu