Is there an implementation of Active Directory in Linux or Unix's

Today in the company I work for "windows based comany"
I was challenged about whether any Unix system was
able to provide Directory Services "just like those of
microsoft - which they took from Netware". They claim
that's a feature Windows offers, which is more
advanced than any other equivalent unix solution. What
would be the unix way to accomplish this task?

Also, they claim that in the future windows is going
to take over on the server side as well. Do you guys
doubt that linux "or unix in general" is going to be
able to keep up with the rate at which windows is
getting more popular in both client and server side? I
just dont want to be forced to use windows in the
future...that would be like being in jail...

I would appreciate your input guys... Thanks a lot

Robert...