Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:52:22AM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2002 16:27:11 -0000 grante@visi.com (Grant Edwards) wrote:
> >   * Package configuration asks pointless questions.  For
> >     example, my neighbor spent a fair amount on the Debian site
> >     trying to find out what lynx was and what should be used as
> >     a default URL.
[...]
> >   * Setup/configure for a package fails and installer has to be
> >     restarted.
[...]
> >   * After the install was "complete" (cycling through the
> >     install wasn't getting any further) we had two permanently
> >     broken packages: ldap-something and biff: apt-get -f
> >     install was unable to fix the system. We had to purge both
> >     of those with dpkg before we could get any further.
[...]
> >   * After installing using woody floppies, we don't have a
> >     woody system, we have a _potato_ system!  Now we have to
> >     manually edit apt's source list and do an update/upgrade to
> >     get a woody system we wanted in the first place.
> >     Downloading, installing, and configuring all those potato
> >     packages just so they can be replaced with woody packages
> >     is a waste of the user's time and bandwidth.
>
> Ahh, this is an item that's bitten a few people now.  As I understand it,
> because woody is pending it's release, all the installation routines are
> configured to create "stable" entries in the sources.list file.  This can
> cause quite a few headaches.  I normally don't see this as I use a local
> mirror for all my installations and as such directly edit my sources.list
> for each installation.
>
> This has probably already been asked elsewhere, but is there a compelling
> reason that the woody install uses "stable" vs "woody" in the
> sources.list?

It's a bug that wasn't fixed because most people expected woody to be
released much earlier and make the bug irrelevant. Unfortunate, but
there you go. It's also most likely the cause of Grant's three previous
complaints which I've quoted above.