Re: Xemacs error

Erik Mathisen <erik@mathisen.us> writes:

> > Couple of things to try:
> >   - can you start it with the -nw switch or at the console (text-mode)?
> >

> yes I can (both)
>
> >   - if you move your .emacs (or whatever Xemacs is calling that these
> >     days) out of the way, does the behavior change?
> >

> No it does not.  I think the problem is a font-server problem.

Yeah, I think you're right.

> I had to fsck and I have files in my lost+found, so those may be
> releveant to my fonts.  I just have to figure out how to fix that.

Good luck to you.  Rather unfortunately, we've just gone *way* past my
expertise.

If I understand things correctly, I think the stuff that ended up in
lost+found is the contents of data blocks from the disk that were marked as
in-use but not associated with any particular file---what Windows calls a
`lost cluster.'  I'm not really all that up on e2fs internals, but I
suspect that there's a good chance that these could be *partial* files.  If
part of a font file got crunched, that could easily explain why Xemacs is
giving you the error that it is.

Were I faced with this situation, I'd just reinstall the fonts.  Maybe
somebody else can contribute with a less painful alternative.

Best of luck to you, and sorry I wasn't able to be more helpful,

Richard