SOLVED: unsecure connection to X - thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions ...

exporting my display (which I was already doing, and running xhost +
would have been all that is needed, but it was suggested that debian
does not listen for tcp connection to X by default

grep -nri "nolisten tcp" in /etc/X11 revealed the option on two files.
Removing that and kicking X gently in the butt got it working.

Now I just have to figure out why oracle on the solaris box cannot print
thru lprng , even tho lpr works from bash ... (but that is another problem ...)

aloha,
dave