Re: upgrading debian

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:06:57AM -0400, Phil wrote:
> I have Debian version 2.2.17 running on an old machine.  I'm experimenting
> with setting it up as a server and getting it to print.  I believe the new
> release of Debian (r7) would be useful toward that end.  I realize I would
> have to install all the subsequent patches.  I have not found them.  are they
> still on the mirrors,  is there a better way.

Yes.  From the Linux kernel version you quoted and your reference to r7
would leave me to believe that you are running Debian 2.2 (potato).  There
is a tool that makes upgrading fairly painless (especially if you're only
updating to a new release of potato).  It's called apt, the binaries which
would interest you are called apt-get and apt-cache.  If you don't have the
apt package installed, get the potato (stable) version from
http://packages.debian.org/apt.

Once you've installed the package, you need to update your
/etc/apt/sources.list file to contain the following lines:

    # See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
    # Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
    # CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
    #deb file:/home/ftp/debian stable main contrib non-free
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
    deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

Most of these lines should be there already.  Then run these two commands:

    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade -u

This will update the package lists on your local machine for apt, showing it
what's available for installation.  The second command will report to you
which packages are slated for installation and ask you if you wish to
proceed.  If you say, "Yes", apt-get will download the packages for you and
attempt to install them.

At that point, you can choose to install any type of printserver you wish:
lpd, lprng, cups, or many others.

Good luck!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie