Re: keep sendmail logs longer?

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:02:11 -0400 (EDT) Richard A Nelson
<cowboy@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Carlos Sousa wrote:
>
> > It's really a PITA not to have logs handled by logrotate, huh?
>
> Yeah, but please see:

The bug reporter doesn't seem to be expressing any preference for any
of the 2 schemes, so, in principle, any one of the 2 could be dropped
for the other.

> And let me know if you've a way to reconcile this to make everyone
> happy;)

Your email spurred me to do a more in-depth probing of the
syslog/savelog way of rotating logs, and, frankly, I'm appalled.

1) syslogd-listfiles (called by the cron daily and weekly scripts) will
get the list of log files to be rotated daily (no arguments) or weekly
(--weekly argument), which list is then fed to savelog for the rotation
proper.

2) This log file list is gathered by peeking in the /etc/syslog.conf
file, which syntax provides *no* way of specifying anything
rotation-related, by arbitrarily/blindly selecting entries that contain
"*.*" for facility.priority as *daily*, and all other entries as
*weekly*. Period. Set in stone.

This setup (and I'm purely speculating here) reeks of the primordial
soup of the unix conception era, and makes little sense in an age when
programs like logrotate are available.

So I would say scrap it (if I were asked, that is :).

Of course, we would lose the comfort of automatic coverage of all syslog
entries, since the logrotate entries would have to be manually kept in
sync with syslog.conf. But then, the output of syslogd-listfiles could
be used for a starting/default set of logrotate entries, so that might
no be such a big problem.

The system-wide adoption of logrotate might, of course, pose all sorts
of coordination problems among package maintainers that would need to be
sorted out, and unfortunately those cannot be scripted out of the
way ;)

Hey, look at the time...

--
Carlos Sousa