Re: demographics of debian users (was: ratio of male vs. female debian users)

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 13:40, Oleg wrote:

> [...]
[snip]
> "I'm actually curious as to ethnical and national composition of Linux and
> Debian users. E.g. do they use Debian in France, or are they all Mandrake
> users? (Actually, one French person I knew used SuSE, another - Redhat, but
> they may have been weirdos^H^H^H^H^H^H^H outliers). Do African Americans use
> Linux?"

How does one know anything about the distribution of GPLed s/w
except thru direct experience?

For example: It's pretty darned likely that Colin Watson lives
in the UK.  I'd stake money that Colin is male.  I'd bet a nickle
that neither of his parents are/were "native" Indians.  Other than
that, how can one tell his age, race, class, education, income,
religion, or any other demographic grouping?

Go around the Columbia computer science classes and labs and count
noses, and *ask* the black students: "What OS do you predominately
use?"

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment |
|  by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."      |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |