Re: true transparency?

In muc.lists.debian.user, you wrote:

> [...] however i believe i am a minority,under true transparency
> terms however, when the window is "fogged" as the fake
> transparency can be, you would be able to distinguish between
> aterms stacked, and eventually, after the 3rd or 4th term i
> would imagine it would become solid white and you could not see
> all 5 aterms, however i am also starting to wonder if this will
> be resource intensive.

Yes, extremely.  Somebody else pointed out how high the CPU
load was on an OS-X machine sitting doing "nothing".

> i would imagine not any more so than the allready "false"
> transparency but i could be very wrong :-p i havent done much
> programming.

The "fake" transparency involves little more than telling the
terminal program what bitmap to use for a background.  There is
no interaction between windows.  Real transparancy means that
all stacked windows interact with each other.  When text in a
lower window scrolls, all of the windows above it have to be
redrawn (after doing some not insignificant DSP stuff if you
want blurring or other visual effects).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Hey, waiter! I want
                                  at               a NEW SHIRT and a PONY TAIL