Re: keep sendmail logs longer?

<quote who="Kurt Yoder">
> Hello list
>
> I'd like to retain my sendmail logs for a longer time on my Debian box.
> It looks like they're being rotated by syslog? Or is this incorrect? In
> any case, there's no entry in /etc/logrotate.conf or /etc/logrotate.d/
> where I can specify that I'd like to keep the logs longer.
>
> Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

this drove me up the #$!%$@# wall last year when i was trying
to figure it out. as another posted noted sendmail's logs are
rotated by savelog, on a weekly basis, and savelog gets it's
logfiles to rotate via /etc/syslog.conf (last i checked). so
it's not really easy to do with the current system. you can
hack up the script so it rotates the logs and excludes
mail.log, but my solution was to say screw it, and i setup
a syslog-ng server, and have all my logs go there, where they
are rotated weekly and kept for 26 weeks before being overwritten.
i have the logs go to /var/log-ng where savelog(if it was
a debian system which it isn't) wouldn't find them anyways.

its worked very well, and if you have more then 1 system I
highly reccomend using a syslog server, makes monitoring of
logs so much easier. i probably have 25 systems going to
the syslog server. it's not perfect, for example last week
i upgraded my syslog server(freebsd 4.4) to 4.6, and it had
downtime of a good 20 minutes where very little was logged
while i troubleshot the upgrade. and i would not reccomend
sending syslog traffic over a WAN link as they are not
usually as reliable as a LAN link.

that and you have much finer grain control over what gets
logged and where, i have a database log, a ftp log,
a mail log, a printer log(network printers), ssh log,
kernel log, inetd log, vpn log, imap log, pop log, proxy log,
dns log, cron log and about half dozen more. throw in
logcheck and logrotate and i think my system serves me
quite well.

all in all, 1.3GB of log entries for the past 26 weeks.

nate