Re: How do you process package dependencies?

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 14:55, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 08:51:25AM -0400, alex wrote:
> | Thanks, Derek and Osamu,   good info.
> |
> | I must have phrased my questions poorly.  What I was really asking for
> | was an explanation of the mechanics of installing a package and its
> | related packages and where to put them.
>
> The answer to that is
>     apt-get update
>     apt-get install <foo>
>
> | How would it done if there wasn't something like apt to do it for
> | you and you had to do it yourself?
>
> Well, that is _almost_ like asking how to install an 'rpm' package on
> RH without having the 'rpm' program around.  Almost.
>
> On debian, 'dpkg -i' works like 'rpm -i' or 'rpm -U' on RH.  You can
> tell dpkg to install a certain package, and it will complain if the
> dependencies aren't met.  Then you go back to
> http://packages.debian.org and download the deps and install them.
> Repeat as necessary (as you would for an rpm-based system).

But, then, that aggravating, manual process is the main reason why
I fled Mandrake...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81         |
| "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect  |
|  liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent. Men     |
|  born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their |
|  liberty by evil minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty |
|  lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning    |
|  but without understanding."                                    |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |